Saturday, November 18, 2017

Belly dance

Hold pride in your eyes she said,
Move your body with sensual dignity she said,
And I realised, in what was a very unexpected realisation,
That somewhere along the last few years of my struggles with mind and spirit
I have lost my sinuous control and faith in my body.

I have been regularly swimming, doing yoga and even gymming these past months.
But there is something about dancing that xrays the fiery fluid of our confidence as an entity with a body
That the more methodical punctuated movements of workouts fail to develop or draw attention to.

I am in a perfect place to start welcoming and owning dance back into my body. Because I would be dancing for no one but myself. So I am not defined by the observer, leaving the maximum degree of freedom for myself to create and improvise in a way that syncs my soul, mind and body.

The belly dance class today that reminded all this was just 4 hr long. Hopefully, the conviction it created rolls on for months and rolls off the shame and heaviness on my shoulders and hips.. 

No comments: